Dermaplaning is a manual exfoliation technique that has quickly become a popular aesthetic treatment! The treatment involves using a scalpel to remove dead skin cells and ‘Peach Fuzz’ to reveal a smoother, brighter complexion.
A Dermaplaning treatment is great for helping to restore a youthful glow, as the dead skin cells that sit in the hair on our face can give us a dull, lacklustre complexion. Removing this hair, along with the dead skin, will leave you with a healthy, glowing complexion.
Results from Dermaplaning can be seen instantly, and the treatment can be combined with one of our other advanced skin treatments. For maximum results, we recommend that you combine this treatment with LED Light Therapy for the ultimate rejuvenating treatment.
- Removes fine vellus hair (peach fuzz hair)
- Removes surface dead skin
- Gives full face exfoliation
- Restores a youthful glow
- Brightens a dull and lacklustre complexion
- Encourages deeper penetration of skincare products
- Instant results
- No downtime
- Comfortable and relaxing treatment
Dermaplaning is a facial treatment that can be used on all areas of the face except eyelids and nose.
HOW DOES THE TREATMENT WORK?
Prior to treatment you will have an initial consultation to discuss your concerns and what you are hoping to achieve from treatment.
Treatment will begin with your practitioner thoroughly cleansing your skin. Next they will gently stretch an area of the skin between their fingers to ensure the treated area is pulled taut. Holding a sterile gauge blade at a 45 degree angle they will use short swift strokes which will scrape away dead skin cells and remove peach fuzz.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY CONSULTATION
During your consultation a detailed medical history will be taken, helping the medical specialist to determine whether treatment is an appropriate product/treatment for you to receive and whether it will help you achieve the results that you are looking for. This will also reduce the risk of any unwanted side effects from the treatment. During this consultation the potential risks and aftercare recommendations are discussed.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TREATMENT
- Discontinue any manual or physical exfoliation 3-5 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure for 5-7 days prior to treatment
- Do not schedule botox or filler prior to dermaplanning
- Schedule your waxing service 1-2 weeks prior to treatment
- Reschedule your appointment if you have open acne lesions or wounds
- You will be made comfortable on a treatment couch whilst maintaining privacy and dignity.
- Your practitioner will check through your consent forms and medical history.
- You will be then handed a mirror to discuss your requirements from the procedure.
- The treatment area will be cleansed.
CLEANING & DRESSINGS
The skin will be cleansed, and appropriate dressings or pre-treatment applied.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST FOR?
If you like the results you would benefit from having a monthly treatment. Your skin cells are produced and replaced in a 28 day cycle, so it takes on average 28 days for a cell to be born and move up through the layers and eventually cells harden and die and slough off and are replaced by new skin cells. Sometimes this skin cycle is sluggish if skin is congested and also as we age the skin cycle slows down. Sometimes the cycle can be 45-50 days.
If you would like us to recommend a skincare regime for you to help increase cell turnover or clear congestion etc please ask.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
- Active infection of any type, such as herpes simplex or flat warts.
- Any raised lesions
- Any recent chemical peel procedure
- Chemotherapy or radiation
- Eczema or dermatitis
- Family history of hypertrophic scarring or keloid formation
- Hormonal therapy that produces thick pigmentation
- Oral blood thinner medication
- Recent use of topical agents such as glycolic acids, alpha-hydroxy acids and Retin-A
- Skin Cancer
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Use of Accutane within the last year
Aerobic exercise or vigorous physical activity should be avoided until all redness has subsided. Direct sunlight exposure is to be completely avoided immediately following the treatment (including any strong UV light exposure or tanning beds). Although SPF 30+ should already be a part of your daily skin care, after dermaplaning, SPF 30+ must be applied daily to the treated area for a minimum of two weeks. Twice daily cleanse the treated area with a post- treatment cleanser, followed by a serum or treatment cream and follow with SPF 30+ sunscreen.