High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) targets specific depths of the skin and underlying tissue. The ultrasound waves produce heat, which tightens and stimulates new collagen to form all in one single treatment. No scalpels, no needles, no downtime.
HIFU precise energy stimulates the skins deep support structures (Epidermis, dermis and the SMAS (Superficial muscular aponeurotic system). The SMAS is an area of musculature within the face, which is normally manipulated during cosmetic surgery and is often described as ‘scaffolding to the face’.
- Wrinkle reduction
- Tightening sagging skin on the neck (sometimes called turkey neck)
- Lifting the cheeks, eyebrows, and eyelids
- Enhancing jawline definition
- Tightening of the décolletage
- Smoothing the skin
Areas that we can treat include:
- Fine lines and wrinkles on the forehead
- Frown lines
- Crow’s feet and smile lines
- Double chins
- Neck and jowl area
HOW DOES THE TREATMENT WORK?
The single session treatment utilises the body’s own wound healing process to lift, tone and tighen the skin. By causing micro injury at three different skin layer depths (4.5mm, 3mm and 1.5mm), we trigger contraction of the SMAS layer and encourage growth and formation of new collagen. This is achieved using the acoustic energy to create thermal coagulation at each depth.
The ultrasound probe is evenly moved over the treatment areas in order to allow the high intensity focused ultrasound waves to reach the underlying connective tissue and generate the desired skin-tightening effects. The overlying skin layers remain unaffected, which means the lifting can be carried out gently and without a trace.
This gentle form of lifting can be used on the entire face to counteract sagging skin. The following areas are ideal for treatment: the neck region, chin, cheeks and eyebrow area. During a session, an individual area can be treated or all areas can be treated at once.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY CONSULTATION
During your consultation a detailed medical history will be taken, helping the medical specialist to determine whether treatment is an appropriate product/treatment for you to receive and whether it will help you achieve the results that you are looking for. This will also reduce the risk of any unwanted side effects from the treatment. During this consultation the potential risks and aftercare recommendations are discussed.
Make sure you’ve allowed for enough downtime after the procedure. If you’re having the neck treated, you may wish to bring a scarf with you. Be aware that, for the best results more than one treatment is necessary.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TREATMENT
- Avoid sun exposure and sunless tanning. Sun burned or tanned skin will not be treated.
- All skin irritants must be stopped (glycolic/ salicylic acids, benzoyl peroxide, retinol products such as Retin A, Tazorac, Triluma, Differin, and Vitamin C) on the area being treated.
- Certain antibiotics such as Tetracycline or Doxycylcline can make you photosensitive, therefore may be delayed for two weeks post completion of antibiotic.
- You will be made comfortable on a treatment couch whilst maintaining privacy and dignity.
- Your practitioner will check through your consent forms and medical history.
- You will be then handed a mirror to discuss your requirements from the procedure.
- The treatment area will be cleansed.
CLEANING & DRESSINGS
The skin will be cleansed, and appropriate dressings or pre-treatment applied.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST FOR?
Results can last up to 18 months dependent on individual genetics, lifestyle choices etc.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
- Metal implants in the treatment area
- Blood disorders
- Silicone injections in the treatment area
Immediately after the treatment the skin may feel warm and tender to touch. Slight redness can last 1-2 days.
- Avoid sunbathing or intense heat for 2 weeks.
- Makeup can be applied after 24 hours.
- We recommed that you drink 1-2 litres of water per day as staying hydrated can contribute to better results.
- Use gentle skincare products one week before and after treatment (avoid acids, hydroquinone, retinoic acid).
- You must avoid Botox injections for 2 weeks following treatment and dermal fillers for 2-3 months. You must avoid other skin tightening treatments such as laser/ultrasound/radiofrequency for 3-6 months (Discuss with practitioner).