The skin micro needling treatment creates a multitude of tiny puncture wounds to the dermis, which targets keratinocytes, melanocytes and fibroblast cells and induces the release of growth factors that stimulate the productions of new collagen and elastin. The wound from a microneedle goes through the same process of healing as a larger wound (inflammation, proliferation, tissue remodelling).
- Stimulates collagen and elastin
- Boosts the skin’s healing and repairing system
- Results with firmer and softer skin
- Refines the tone and texture of the skin
- Absorbs active ingredients from the vitamins used for maximum treatment results
Areas that we can treat include:
- Face (rejuvenation, wrinkles, acne scarring, hyperpigmentation, elasticity, open pores, comedones, chicken pox scars, surgical scars)
- Abdomen (i.e. stretch marks, scars)
- Legs (stretch marks, cellulite, scars)
HOW DOES THE TREATMENT WORK?
Prior to treatment you will have an initial consultation to discuss your concerns and what you are hoping to achieve from treatment.
A sterile tip containing 12 tiny micro-needles is attached to the Pen. Your practitioner will apply Hyaluronic Acid (HA) a hydrating serum and select the appropriate treatment pen settings based on your unique needs. Next, in a single motion, the pen will be gently pressed against the skin while simultaneously gliding in circular motions until the entire treatment area has been covered.
The skin is rolled in sections to obtain uniform redness and pinpoint bleeding throughout the treated section. The skin is cleansed with warm water and patted dry with sterile gauze. Aftercare products are applied such as an ‘oxygen facial’ treatment or bionic treatment. The needle tip is disposed of into a sharps bin, as they are single use.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY CONSULTATION
During your consultation a detailed medical history will be taken, helping the medical specialist to determine whether treatment is an appropriate product/treatment for you to receive and whether it will help you achieve the results that you are looking for. This will also reduce the risk of any unwanted side effects from the treatment. During this consultation the potential risks and aftercare recommendations are discussed.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TREATMENT
- Keep out of the sun for 24 hours before your treatment.
- Avoid taking autoimmune disease medication for 24 hours.
- Arrive at the clinic with a clean face and no makeup.
- Don’t have microneedling performed if you have used Accutane (Isotretinoin), an acne medication, in the last six months.
- On arrival to the clinic you be taken to a private room to have topical numbing cream applied, to ease discomfort during procedure.
- As the cream takes around 20-30 minutes to take affect, you will be able to relax in our relaxation area.
- You will be made comfortable on a treatment couch whilst maintaining privacy and dignity.
- Your practitioner will check through your consent forms and medical history.
- You will be then handed a mirror to discuss your requirements from the procedure.
- You will be asked if you have any phobia’s to needles.
- The treatment area will be cleansed.
CLEANING & DRESSINGS
The skin will be cleansed, and appropriate dressings or pre-treatment applied.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST FOR?
Depending on the initial skin condition and the anticipated procedure result the treatment can be repeated every 4 weeks, a course of 3 sessions is usually sufficient.
The 4 week intervals allow for maximum new collagen deposition, however, new collagen formation can continue for up to 6-12 months after one treatment.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
People with currently irritated skin:
- infected skin
- active acne
- active rosacea
- active eczema
- skin cancer
- keloid scarring
- Special precautions in anticoagulated patients and anyone with skin type Fitzpatrick III and above.
- Wait at least four hours to wash your face.
- Your skin may feel warm and tight and look red for one to three days. During this period, use a delicate cleanser and moisturizer, and apply 1% hydrocortisone cream as needed to soothe skin irritation.
- Avoid swimming, strenuous exercise and excessive sun exposure.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications for several days, which could interfere with your body’s healing process. Pain medications that aren’t anti-inflammatory, including Tylenol (acetaminophen), are acceptable.
- Peeling and flaking of the treatment area may occur three to five days after microneedling as a result of increased skin cell turnover. Avoid picking and scratching at your skin. Instead, use a gentle moisturizer to help combat dry skin.
- The positive results of microneedling will become visible within two to four weeks. In the meantime, you can wear cosmetics to lessen the appearance of skin redness and peeling.