PDO THREAD LIFT
As we age, our skin naturally begins to weaken due to a loss in elastic tissue (elastin), which results in loose skin around the mouth, jowl, cheek and neck area. The PDO Thread Lift is designed to help restore your facial structure and reduce the visible signs of ageing without the need for surgery.
Polydioxanone Threads – more commonly known as PDO Threads – are a medical grade suturing thread that have been used for over 20 years. Designed to rejuvenate, regenerate and improve your facial structure.
- Improves facial structure
- Adds contour and structure to places that have now sunken or become hollow
- Stimulates new collagen
Areas that we can treat include:
- Jawline contour
- Nasolabial lines
- Neck tightening
HOW DOES THE TREATMENT WORK?
The PDO Lift works by using threads via a cannula (thin tube) beneath the skin and attaching them to the surrounding tissue to lift the face and tighten the skin. Placements of the desired number of threads, which may range from a single thread per side but can involve 50 threads or more to treat the face and neck. Various entry points are considered depending on the individual face shape and requirements.
The PDO threads can also stimulate the production of collagen and elastic, which are important in restoring the plumpness of the skin and stimulating wrinkle reduction.
Once the threads are situated in your face, your body will naturally create new collagen that will grow around each thread for results that will continue to improve with time. The PDO Threads we use are dissolvable, and your body will start to break them down over a period of 3 – 6 months. This will not affect the result of your non-invasive, non-surgical thread facelift, as the new collagen will remain in place of the threads.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY CONSULTATION
During your consultation a detailed medical history will be taken, helping the medical specialist to determine whether treatment is an appropriate product/treatment for you to receive and whether it will help you achieve the results that you are looking for. This will also reduce the risk of any unwanted side effects from the treatment. During this consultation the potential risks and aftercare recommendations are discussed.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TREATMENT
- Ensure there is no inflammation already present in the body the days leading up to or on your treatment day.
- Get any dental work that you are unable to post-pone out of the way, you will not be able to see a dentist for approximately two weeks.
- Avoid taking any blood-thinning medications or blood-clotting medications approximately two days before your treatment day.
- Try to limit bodily and emotional stressors prior to your treatment.
- Avoid drinking alcohol the night before your treatment.
- On arrival to the clinic you be taken to a private room to have topical numbing cream applied, to ease discomfort during procedure.
- As the cream takes around 20-30 minutes to take affect, you will be able to relax in our relaxation area.
- You will be made comfortable on a treatment couch whilst maintaining privacy and dignity.
- Your practitioner will check through your consent forms and medical history.
- You will be then handed a mirror to discuss your requirements from the procedure.
- You will be asked if you have any phobia’s to needles.
- The treatment area will be cleansed.
CLEANING & DRESSINGS
The skin will be cleansed, and appropriate dressings or pre-treatment applied.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST FOR?
12-18 months, results can vary for each individual based upon genetics, lifestyle choices and adherence to correct aftercare advice.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
- Anyone with an autoimmune disease such as hepatitis B and C or HIV
- Anyone on anticoagulation therapy such as aspirin, warfarin or clopidrogel
- Anyone with a history of keloid scar formation
- If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breast-feeding (It is not known if the dermal filler can be harmful to your unborn child)
- Also tell us if you are taking any medicines including herbal as some may be contraindicated
Most people are able to continue with normal activities with immediate improvement in their appearance. Some will have some redness, pin prick marks, and some degree of swelling, possibly some puckering along the site of the suture, possibly, indentations at the insertion or exit points. The immediate side effects are expected to settle within 2 weeks.
For up to a week after the procedure it may feel tender around the sutures. If necessary, you can take some simple paracetamol to help with this although most patients do not bother with this step. You may feel the stitches and the anchoring cones beneath your skin especially when you apply your skincare products or make up, although you should not be able to see them.
After treatment you will be advised too:
- Sleep on your back for 5 nights
- Make-up should not be worn for 12 hours
- No facials or facial massage for 10 days
- No extreme facial expressions for 2 weeks
- Application of anti-biotic cream as advised.
- To attend a review appointment as advised.
- to avoid alcohol, vigorous exercise, sun bathing, and extremes of heat or cold for 14 days post treatment. These activities have been found to increase and prolong swelling.
- Swelling may worsen in the first 24 hours, and then should settle within the first few days. Cold packs can be helpful in reducing swelling.
- Bruising may take a few days to appear, arnica can be helpful in clearing bruising. It is advisable to avoid aspirin and alcohol for 12-48 hours after treatment.
- Tenderness should settle as swelling goes down.