SPIDER VEIN TREATMENT
SPIDER VEIN TREATMENT
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is our treatment of choice for thread veins on the face. Also known as spider veins and broken capillaries, thread veins are small visible vessels that can be seen through the skin. They are common around the nose and cheeks, but can occur anywhere on the face, either occurring naturally, as a result of trauma to the skin, or after UV exposure.
A full consultation and patch test is required pre- treatment.
- Fast effective treatment
- Virtually pain free
- Permanent solution
- Can improve self confidence
Areas that we can treat include:
- Nose & Cheeks
- Full Face
HOW DOES THE TREATMENT WORK?
The IPL device will be applied to your skin and various shots will be fired. You may still be aware of flashes of light and will likely feel brief sensations of heat when the devices fires. You will be required to provide feedback throughout the treatment, as this is crucial to gauging the optimal settings of the treatment.
IPL is used to break down the thread veins. The extremely bright light from the IPL is absorbed by the colour within the blood vessel. The absorption of heat damages the vessel, which is then broken down by the body and carried away by lymph drainage.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY CONSULTATION
During your consultation a detailed medical history will be taken, helping the medical specialist to determine whether treatment is an appropriate product/treatment for you to receive and whether it will help you achieve the results that you are looking for. This will also reduce the risk of any unwanted side effects from the treatment. During this consultation the potential risks and aftercare recommendations are discussed.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TREATMENT
- Avoid tanning or heavy sun exposure and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily for 30 days prior to treatment.
- Do not use medications that cause photosensitivity (such as doxycycline, minocycline) for at least 72 hours prior to treatment.
- If you have a history of herpes (oral cold sores, genital) or shingles in the treatment area, let your doctor know and start your antiviral medication (valacyclovir, acyclovir) as directed (usually 2 days prior to treatment and continue for 3 days after treatment).Avoid tanning or heavy sun exposure and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily for 30 days prior to treatment.
- You will be made comfortable on a treatment couch whilst maintaining privacy and dignity.
- Your practitioner will check through your consent forms and medical history.
- You will be then handed a mirror to discuss your requirements from the procedure.
- The treatment area will be cleansed.
- Eye protection will be provided along with verbal advice
- A cold laser/IPL gel will be applied to the treatment area.
CLEANING & DRESSINGS
The skin will be cleansed, and appropriate dressings or pre-treatment applied.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST FOR?
The results are permanent for those particular veins; however, new veins can naturally appear at any time.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
- Sun exposure
- Active tan
- Certain medications that cause photosensitivity such as doxcycline
- A soothing gel such as arnica or aloe vera can be applied to the area
- Avoid extreme temperatures such as hot baths, sauna’s and steamrooms for 24-48 hours post treatment
- Avoid harsh chemicals such as bleach and heavily perfumed products for 48 hours
- Avoid make up for 24 hours post treatment